This guide assumes that you already have recovery words using the BIP-39 standard (this excludes Electrum for example) that you want to import on your BitBox02 in order to restore that wallet.
Note: The BitBox02 only supports Segwit (addresses start with 3…) and Native-Segwit (addresses start with bc1….) accounts. If you import the recovery words of a wallet that you used with the Legacy address format (addresses start with 1…) you won’t see these coins in the BitBoxApp. We recommend you to move these coins to a Segwit or Native-Segwit account first.
Attention: Importing an externally generated wallet means that your wallet is only as safe as the weakest link. To have the best security, create a new wallet on your BitBox02 and transfer your coins to it.
How to restore a wallet from 24 recovery words?
- This guide assumes that your BitBox02 is in factory reset.
- Launch BitBoxApp, plug in your BitBox02 and confirm the device pairing code.
- When asked if you want to create a new wallet or restore from backup, select "Restore from recovery word".
- Select how many recovery words you want to import. 12, 18 or 24.
- Enter each recovery word on your BitBox02. The BitBox02 will auto-complete your input once it is clear which word you are trying to enter. After each word, confirm by tapping the tick in the upper right corner.
- Once you have entered all recovery words, the BitBox02 will display them again and ask you to confirm that the input is correct.
- Choose a BitBox02 device password. You will need this password every time you want to use your BitBox02.
- Confirm today's date on your BitBox02.
- You have successfully restored your wallet and can continue using your BitBox02 as usual.
When done, store your recovery words in a secure location.