FIDO U2F is a two-factor authentication method (2FA) developed by the FIDO Alliance that is supported on the BitBox02 that allows you to strengthen the security of your online accounts.
Whether U2F is available depends on each website. Examples of websites that support U2F are: Facebook, Dashlane, Gmail, Dropbox, GitHub.
- FIDO U2F increases account security as both your normal website password and your BitBox02 are required to log in.
- FIDO U2F is not related to cryptocurrencies.
- FIDO U2F needs to be enabled individually for each website you want to use it with.
Start using U2F
- Prerequisite: Set up your BitBox02
- Visit the website for which you want to enable U2F
- Visit the security settings page of that website
Plug in your BitBox02 and tap a side to choose the screen orientation
- Select that you want to register a "security key"/"second factor authenticator" (this could be called differently on each website)
- Your BitBox02 will then ask you for your password to unlock the BitBox02. Enter it.
- Your BitBox02 will then ask if you want to register a new website. If the website is well known it will show the website name, if not it will say "Unknown site".
- Below that it will show four words that are unique for each website.
- Confirm on your BitBox02 that you want to register this website by tapping the checkmark.
Done, you have now registered a U2F security key for this website which you will need whenever you log in.
If you want to test U2F with your BitBox02, use this demo site: https://demo.yubico.com/webauthn-technical/registration
- If you lose access to your BitBox02, you can restore your wallet on a new BitBox02 which also restores your Fido U2F setups and thereby allows you access to your web accounts again.