What is the difference between my BitBox02 password and a passphrase?
BitBox02 device password
- Mandatory, cannot be deactivated.
- Protects your BitBox02 against unauthorised access.
- There is only one device password per BitBox02.
- Needed each time you want to unlock your BitBox02.
- Can be changed by resetting and restoring your BitBox02.
- It is not required in order to restore your wallet from your wallet backup.
Optional passphrase (advanced feature)
- Optional. Should only be used if you understand how a passphrase works and are aware of the risks.
- Protects your wallet backup in case of theft.
- One BitBox02 can be used with multiple passphrases, each of them generating a separate wallet.
- Needed each time you want to access a particular passphrase-protected wallet.
- Cannot be changed...
- It is required in order to restore your wallet from your backup. Without it, you cannot restore your wallet.