Before you start using a passphrase, make sure that you understand how a passphrase works and are aware of the associated risks.
Remember, a passphrase is not stored on your BitBox02. It must be entered each time you want to access a passphrase-protected wallet.
By default the "optional passphrase" feature is deactivated, meaning your BitBox02 will not ask you to enter a passphrase while you unlock your BitBox02. When you activate the "optional passphrase" feature, all that changes is that from now on, your BitBox02 will ask you for a passphrase after your device password. All the "optional passphrase" toggle does is to tell the BitBox02 if it should ask for a passphrase during unlock or not.
Activate the optional passphrase feature
- Go to “Manage device” and click “Enable optional passphrase”. You will then see a warning.
- Make sure you understand how a passphrase works and are aware of the risks.
- If that is the case, confirm on your BitBox02 that you want to enable it.
- The optional passphrase feature is now enabled.
- From now on, you will be asked for a passphrase after every device unlock.
- If you want to use your “normal” wallet just confirm directly i.e. with no passphrase input/empty passphrase.
- If you want to access a passphrase-protected wallet, type in the corresponding passphrase and then confirm it.
Pro tip: hiding that you are using a passphrase
If you don’t want to be asked for your passphrase every time you unlock your BitBox02, you can click “Disable optional passphrase” at any time in the device settings. As no data about your passphrase is stored on the device (you need to back up your passphrase independently), nothing is deleted. If you want to access the passphrase-protected wallet again you can just reenable the optional passphrase feature and put the same passphrase next time you are unlocking your BitBox02 with the BitBox02.